Pennywell Miniature Pigs as Pets
Britain's Original and Trusted Breeder Since 1992
The Pennywell Miniature Pigs are an essential part of Pennywell Farm, our award winning tourist attraction in Devon.
Farmer Chris has always loved his pigs but found it expensive to keep traditional pig breeds on the farm. By breeding to reverse all that commercial farmers do to get rapid live weight gain, high food conversion ratio and high birth rates, The Pennywell Miniature Pig was born.
Pennywell's priority has always been to breed for good temperament, as we are open to the public and need safe, friendly pigs for children and adults to cuddle.
As piggy cuddles soon became a highlight for our visitors, it soon became apparent that they would make excellent pets.
They are suitable for people with fur and feather allergies
They require less excercise than a dog
They are social, intelligent and unique
All our pigs are well cared for and socialised. They are handled from a young age by staff and visitors but stay with the sow until they are ready to be weaned.
With over 20 years experience, we pride ourselves on being the original micro pig breeder and are among the most responsible, trusted and transparent breeders of miniature pigs in the UK.
The Buying process
A Pennywell Miniature Pig is £550 for one or £800 for two and a 50% deposit is required to secure you a place on the pig waiting list. Please note that this deposit is non-refundable.
All boars are sold as castrates and the price is fixed regardless of colour/markings. As pigs are highly social animals we would always encourage buying two if you can.
1. Before you buy please read our Keeping Pigs as Pets Guide and consider carefully whether a Pennywell Miniature Pig is the right pet for you.
2. We feel it’s important you meet our pigs and get an impression of the size an adult miniature pig will grow to. So please visit Pennywell Farm, our award winning Devon tourist attraction. Keep hold of your receipt and we will deduct your admission (maximum of 2 Adults and 2 children) from the price of your pig when you buy. Book tickets.
3. Apply for a free County Parish Holding (CPH) number so you can keep a pig. It’s best to leave plenty of time for this to be processed.
4. Complete the Pennywell Miniature Pig Deposit Form and return to us with your 50% deposit to secure a place on our pig waiting list.
5. Wait to be contacted to arrange collection. Please read on below and check the Keeping Pigs as Pets for what you will need to arrange before collecting and transporting your pig.
6. Collect your new friend and complete payment. We will provide you with a receipt, DEFRA paperwork, a small amount of feed, a care sheet and ear tag as required for livestock sales.
Legal requirements for pig keepers
Although your Pennywell Miniature Pig will be a much loved pet, in the eyes of the law pigs are farmed animals and all are subject to livestock regulations.
Therefore you will need a County Parish Holding (CPH) Number before collecting and transporting your pig. Please apply for your CPH number as soon as possible to allow for processing time as they vary.
Please bring a pet carrier of appropriate size and strength to transport your pigs in.
Once your new pet home is you will need to register as a pig keeper with the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA), this must be done within 30 days of your pig arriving.
Both are processes are free and easy. All the guidance and details you will need can be found on Gov.co.uk.
When you have our Keeping Pigs as Pets guide, if you think that a Pennywell Miniature Pig might be your perfect pet, please download and complete this form and forward with your deposit.
If you require any additional information, please email: email@example.com with your contact details and a member of the team will get back to you as soon as possible.